Wednesday, November 5, 2014

What are YOUR favorite sci-fi tropes?

In continuing with this great month full of sci-fi deliciousness, I thought I'd start my posts off with a fun little discussion on Sci-Fi tropes.

First things first, what is a trope? A trope is a reoccurring theme, in this case in literature, that has significance. For example, in fiction, one of my favorite tropes is boarding schools. If a book is set at a boarding school, I'm already a little bit obsessed! Everyone has a couple tropes that really work for them, so I figured I would explore some common ones in Science Fiction.

I recently posted a poll on GoodReads asking my followers to vote on their favorite tropes, or they could write one in. Here are the results:


  • Utopias/dystopias
    • Stats: 15 votes/49 total, 30.6% of voters chose this
    • What it means: A world where society is either perfect and ideal or horrible and failing
    • My thoughts: I can't get enough of dystopias, even though it feels like it's a bit overdone these days. I still think the idea is fascinating.
    • Book examples: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, Divergent by Veronica Roth
  • Superpowers
    • Stats: 13 votes/49 total, 26.5% of voters chose this
    • What it means: Characters with special abilities--mind control, invisibility, mutations, etc.
    • My thoughts: I've read some interesting ones, but this trope, to me, has the potential to come off corny sometimes. 
    • Book examples: White Cat by Holly Black, Maximum Ride by James Patterson
  • Time Travel
    • Stats: 8 votes/49 total, 16.3% of voters chose this
    • What it means: travel into the future, travel into the past, time machines, all that jazz
    • My thoughts: Super fun! Very Doctor Who-esque, and something that I sometimes wish we had the capabilities of doing. 
    • Book examples: Tempest by Julie Cross, All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill
  • Parallel universes
    • Stats: 6 votes/49 total, 12.2% of voters chose this, as did I!
    • What it means: alternate universes where life is different from what we know in ours, sometimes better, sometimes worse
    • My thoughts: I love this idea and I'm desperately searching for more books with this trope
    • Book examples: Parallel by Lauren Miller, Pivot Point by Kasie West
  • Space travel
    • 5 votes/49 total, 10.2% of voters chose this
    • What it means: traveling among the stars to different planets, space ships, Star Trek-y
    • My thoughts: I've read a couple of great books with this trope, and I feel like it can work out very well
    • Book examples: These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner, Across the Universe by Beth Revis
  • Alien invasion
    • 1 vote/49 total, 2% of voters chose this
    • What it means: aliens have come to earth, most of the time to take over, and humans are constantly interacting with them
    • My thoughts: I'm split on this trope. I like it in some books and then hate it in others, it really depends on how well the author can pull it off
    • Book examples: The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey, The Lux series by Jennifer L. Armentrout
  • Honorable mention to the write-in: Star Trek-style cultural interactions between different cultures
So these are some of the common tropes in Sci-Fi and my thoughts on them. What do you think? Is your favorite trope missing from the list? If so, I'd love to hear about it!

-Annie

12 comments:

  1. My favourite tropes in science fiction are space travel and parallel worlds. It is a bit ironic though, because I haven't read too many books featuring parallel worlds. I'm so excited to see what other recs I can pick up this month! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how I feel too. I haven't read a lot in my favorite tropes but I'm looking forward to the ones that are out there!

      Delete
  2. I'm greedy: I enjoyed all of these. :) Parallel universes is something I'd love to see more of, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I think it's such an interesting concept, but I can see how it could be hard to write

      Delete
  3. My favourite tropes from these are dystopia, space travel, superpowers and alien invasions, although I haven't read as many books in the later two. I don't like time travel or alternative dimensions, they just don't work for me. I always feel like the explanations don't make sense and I hate that feeling! I just can't focus on the story and ignore those issues. Interesting to see what everyone voted for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be kind of confusing if they aren't done right, I completely agree!

      Delete
  4. Pivot Point was such a great book!

    I also really like advanced technology which is the sort of thing that kind of goes with a lot of sci-fi. But the ideas of different gadgets and what people could do with them can be as interesting as different super powers and how people can use them in new and different ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to read Pivot Point--I should probably move it higher up on my 'to be read' list.

      Oh and I completely forgot to add in advanced technology. That's such a cool trope, and there are some cool books out there that use it!

      Delete
  5. I'm in the same boat, love love dystopias but I'm getting a little burnt out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As tired as I am, I still can't help reading them! Haha maybe I need to take a little break

      Delete
  6. Oooh what a great idea :D Shame I missed this poll!

    I would go for time travel. As an archaeologist it just fascinates me, the idea that we could go back to the past and see if things really are as we believe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just read a superpowers book and now I want more! Also, thanks to Doctor Who I am always up for time travel!

    ReplyDelete